Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into graduate programmes in the 2019/2020 academic year leading to the award of Postgraduate Diploma, Masters and Doctor of Philosophy Degrees of the University of Calabar.
A. GENERAL REGULATIONS
Courses may be offered full-time or part-time. All programmes begin with coursework and end with a project for Graduate Diploma, MBA, MPA and MPAS or thesis for Master’s and Ph.D degrees.
- Duration of Programme: For full-time studies the Postgraduate Diploma lasts for two (2) semesters. The Master’s degrees last for 4 semesters; and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) programmes last for 6 semesters.
For part-time programmes, the Master’s degrees last for 6 semesters, the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) lasts for 10 semesters.
Note that PGD programmes run on full-time basis only.
- Requirements for Admission: Candidates are required to have a minimum CGPA of 3.00 on a 5-point scale and 2.75 on a 4-point scale for Master’s programmes and 4.00 on a 5-point scale and 3.00 on a 4-point scale for the Ph.D programmes.
A CGPA of 1.50 and above is required for PGD programmes.
Candidates with Master’s degree from recognized universities may credit the relevant courses towards the Ph.D programme, provided that the quality of the grade is acceptable to the Graduate School.
Note: Filling of forms – Surnames first, First name next, Middle name last.
There will be no changes made after submission of application forms online. Therefore candidates must think through before submission as any change will attract a fee.
This is to prevent multiple applications. The titles Mr, Miss or Mrs may be used but not Rev(Dr), Chief, etc. Programmes applied for should be Ph.D, M.A, M.Ed, M.Sc, MPH, LLM, and PGD. No extension of application after 31st January 2020.
The website will be shut down on 31st January 2020.
3. MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates are to first log on to our website: www.unicalonline.edu.ng or click here to access and download the prospectus for the complete description of available courses.
Thereafter, candidates are required to pay a non-refundable fee of ₦25,000.00 at any bank nationwide via E-Transact platform for Graduate School application form 2019/2010 academic session.
A printout with a unique PIN will be issued at the bank.
Candidates will then enter their unique PIN and their mobile phone numbers on www.unicalonline.edu.ng/admissions to access the form.
Follow the steps by providing your data as prompted and ensure that your form is submitted.
YOU ARE TO PRINT OUT A COPY OF YOUR FORM AND CONCEPT NOTE, BY CLICKING ON PRINT button after submission.
Please bring a copy of the printed form to the venue on the day of the screening.
Process Flow of E-Scratch Card for UNICAL Postgraduate Application
- Walk into any bank across the federation and make payment on E-Transact platform to purchase Graduate School application form for 2019/2010 academic session.
- Make a payment of ₦25,000.00 and obtain the payment slip.
- Go online to www.unicalonline.edu.ng/admissions
- Log on with the generated pin on the payment slip to fill the Postgraduate form.
4. CONCEPT NOTE
As part of the application, candidates are expected to submit a CONCEPT NOTE of 2 pages maximum for Ph.D programmes and one (1) page maximum for Master’s programmes.
The concept note will be typed online in a space provided in the form and printed out for submission to the department. The concept note is a MINI SUMMARY OF RESEARCH PROPOSAL highlighting what candidates intend to research on when admitted. It will have to cover the following:
- – Statement of the problem
- – Relevance of study to self and society
- – Aim(s) of the study
- – Justification
- – Methodology
- – Brief theoretical background
Note: Candidates who fail to send their concept notes online along with their application forms will not be allowed to take part in the oral interview.
Candidates are to ensure that their academic transcripts are forwarded by their previous institutions through courier service to the Academic Secretary, Graduate School, University of Calabar, P.M.B. 1115, Calabar, Cross River State, ON OR BEFORE THE DEADLINE INDICATED BELOW.
ALL TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN GRADUATE SCHOOL ON OR BEFORE THE SCREENING DAY.
Candidates whose transcripts are not received in the Graduate School shall NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION.
There will be no room for awaiting results (all applicants whose results have not been approved by the Graduate School Board/University Senate will not be considered for admission).
6. ADMISSION SCREENING EXERCISE
Admission Screening Day
All candidates are also expected to take part in the admission screening exercise which will be announced soon.
- Part A – Computer based test involving (Use of English Language, Logic, Mathematics, ICT and General Knowledge);
- Part B – Oral interview in the respective departments based on subject area/concept note for Ph.D and Master’s candidates.
- There shall be No oral interview for MBA, MPAS and all PGD programmes.
The website for submission of application will be shut down on the 31st January 2020.
8. AVAILABLE GRADUATE PROGRAMMES
Programmes leading to the award of Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s, and Ph.D degrees are available in the under-listed Departments.
For details of each programme and specific requirements, click to visit www.unicalonlne.edu.ng/programmes-and-degrees
- Faculty of Agriculture
Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, Animal Science; Crop Science; Forestry and Wildlife Resource Management; Soil Science.
- Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences
Medical Laboratory Science (Medical Microbiology/Parasitology Unit, Chemical Pathology Unit, Histophathology Unit and Haematology Unit), Nursing Science, Public Health, Radiography and Radiological Sciences.
- Faculty of Arts
English and Literary Studies; History and International Studies; Linguistics and Nigerian Languages; Modern Languages and Translation Studies, Philosophy; Religious and Cultural Studies; Theatre and Media Studies.
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
Anatomical Sciences; Biochemistry; Pharmacology; Physiology.
- Faculty of Biological Sciences
Genetics & Biotechnology, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Plant and Ecological Studies, Microbiology, Zoology and Environmental Biology.
- Faculty of Education
Arts Education; Business Education; Continuing Education and Development Studies; Curriculum and Teaching; Educational Administration and Planning; Educational Foundations, Guidance and Counselling; Environmental Education; Human Kinetics and Health Education; Library and Information Science; Science Education; Social Science Education; Special Education; Vocational Education.
- Faculty of Environmental Science
Geography and Environmental Science
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Management Sciences
Accounting, Banking and Finance; Business Management; Marketing.
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Oceanography
Fisheries and Aquaculture; Chemical Oceanography, Geological Oceanography and Physical Oceanography,
- Faculty of Physical Sciences
Computer Science; Geology; Mathematics; Physics; Pure and Applied Chemistry; Statistics.
- Faculty of Social Sciences
Economics; Political Science; Public Administration; Social Work; Sociology.
- Institute of Education
PGD Education (PGDE), PGD Environmental Education (PGDEE), PGD Human Kinetics (PGDHK), PGD Special Education (PGDSE), PGD Library and Information (PGDLIS)
- Institute of Oceanography
PGD Fisheries and Aquaculture; PGD Coastal Zone Management; PGD Marine Ecology, Toxicology & Pollution Studies
- Institute of Public Policy and Administration
PGD Public Administration (PGDPA); PGD Peace Studies and Conflict Management (PGDPSCM); Policy and Administrative Studies (MPAS)
- National Water Resources Capacity Building Network Centre.
Admission / Available Programmes:
Issues with Online Forms:
08183626190, 08038207305, 07064215158
E-Mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Also call the number on the last page of the Faculty publication for inquiry. All calls must be between 9.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m.